August 26

August 27th, 2007

Thanks to Holiday Motel and RV Resort, I was able to sleep in this morning, with Crystal in my arms, and without having to listen to my parent’s dog pace back and forth in the motor home all night. After breakfast, we convinced Crystal that we should all drive back to the Toll Booth so she could join us for my descent out of the Rocky Mountains. Mom even let her ride shotgun!


It was still pouring rain when we reached the top, and the forecast for the rest of the day wasn’t looking any better. There was still some wind, but nothing like my descent into Merritt a couple days ago. Being Sunday afternoon, the highway was becoming busy as people were heading home from their weekend getaways. It was after lunch when I finally started my last leg of the Rockies. I had a short climb from the booth to the summit, and then a 50 km drop to Hope. The wind held me up just enough that I could maintain a steady speed of about 35-40 km/h. I’m sure I could have gone faster, but when it’s puring rain, that’s as fast as I feel comfortable going. With the exception of 2 transports and one coach bus, all traffic was very respectable and encouraging with honks and waves.


I had done it. I had conquered the Rocky Mountains and everything they could throw at me. People said I couldn’t do. Some said I shouldn’t do it. But here I was entering the Fraser Valley and leaving the mountains behind me. I rolled back into Hope at 2:30 pm. On a normal day, I would just be starting my afternoon at this time. Crystal was shaking from the intensity of watching me speed down a slippery, wet mountain. She decided it was time for her to head back to Vancouver to get organized and ready for work tomorrow. Chilliwack was still 50 km away, so I didn’t think I’d be able to reach it today. But I’d give it a shot. I headed down highway 7 since the Trans Canada was just a bit too busy for my enjoyment at this point. Luckily, #7 had just been paved last year! The rain was also subsiding now, too! It was almost as if Mother Nature had realized She wasn’t going to win. She knew that nothing was going to stop me from reaching my goal, so She gave me a peace offering in the form of sun and smooth, flat ground.


My day ended in Agassiz. Considering I had started after lunch and managed to complete about 90 km, I felt satisfied stopping here and driving the few kilometers to our friend’s house in Chilliwack. John and Deb had a steak and corn dinner waiting for us which I devoured in minutes. A tender t-bone was a fantastic finish to a roller coaster of a day.


The Weather Gods took one last shot at me. I had left my wireless network card at the hotel in Hope, so John offered to drive back to get it. Since Hope isn’t far from Chilliwack, it wasn’t a big deal. It was dark when we headed out. The moon was glistening above us and the stars were sparkling. But the hillsides must have been saturated from the ran over the past 2 days. Perhaps you heard about a late night rock slide on Highway 1 between Hope and Chilliwack? Well, I’m happy to say that I escaped unscathed. The slide must have just missed us as we returned back to Chilliwack from Hope.


Don’t forget about Earls in Chilliwack tomorrow night. And Boston Pizza Abbotsford on Sumas on Tuesday night. There will be other locations announced shortly throughout the Lower Mainland including Mission, Langley, White Rock and Surrey. but I won’t be hitting Vancouver until I return back from the Island on September 8th! I hope everyone will come out and skate (or cycle) with me that day. Tell everyone!

Posted in Daily Journal | No Comments »


Leave a Reply

 Comment Form