August 29

August 31st, 2007

I stretched my arms up satisfied with another chance to sleep in a bit. It’s a good thing I got some extra rest, though, because the rest of the morning I was busy booking ferries, calling media, arranging escorts and confirming Boston Pizza’s. By the time we were finished calling, I felt like I had skated 50 km! I needed a nap already.


We headed back to Abbotsford where an Officer met us to lead me to Mission. This would end up being my shortest day of skating ever! 30 minutes later, I rolled into the parking lot at Boston Pizza in Mission. I barely had time to work up a sweat. It was only about 15 kilometers.


Everyone at this restaurant was well informed and enthusiastic about my arrival. We were very early, but they welcomed us in for a quick snack. Our server, Olga, was ready for us and told us that she would also be our server tonight when we came back for the reception at 6 o’clock. I was impressed to see many of my posters up all around the store before we even showed up! They had even taken the time to create their own sheet which they posted telling customers about my journey. Yup, very impressed.


There was still a lot of time to kill which I spent in the RV catching up on journals. I know what you’re thinking. “You always seem to be spending time on journals. So why are you always behind?”. Well, my answer should be quite obvious. I’m lazy. Actually, I hope everyone understands the amount of time I need to spend on every other aspect of this journey to help make it run smoothly. This has become a full-time job that requires me to work 7 days a week, 15 hours a day. It’s been tough. But I can almost taste the finish line!


When we came back to Boston Pizza at 6:00, Olga had undergone a metamorphosis. She still looked the same in appearance, but her name tag now read ‘Alisha’. A strange transformation that requires an explanation. Apparently all the servers were given a European nick name for a themed evening. I guess Alisha really liked her name, so she continues to flip-flop her name tag. Whatever keeps you going, Alisha/Olga.


Over 9000 km are behind me and countless Boston Pizza’s. I thought I’d seen it all. But I suppose I should never make assumptions. The girls of the Mission location surprised me with 2 ‘firsts’. During Alisha’s announcement to the restaurant, rather than standing up on a chair, the 2 of us actually climbed up on the bar! I felt 12 feet tall and bullet proof as Olga bellowed to the customers about me. Very unique. Thanks, Alisha!


Then, just before leaving, a group of servers wanted a picture with me outside. But rather than taking a typical group photo, 3 of them picked me up and 2 of them started chewing on my skate! I can’t imagine my boot tasted good. I know what my feet smell like. And I’m pretty sure the girls that were holding me were groping me inappropriately. But I’ll let it slide. It’s not everyday you have 3 cute girls clawing at you like that!


Driving back to the campground, I looked around at the mountains with a big smile on my face. I was feeling what I can only describe as pure contentment. Mount Baker was directly in front of me dispalying it’s snow-covered peak proudly. I could stare at Baker for hours. I’m always amazed by it’s sheer awesomeness. And tonight it felt even more significant to see her. I know I’m getting close to home, but seeing these sort of familiar landmarks makes me feel like I’m already there.

Posted in Daily Journal | No Comments »


Leave a Reply

 Comment Form